classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Glandore Classic Boat Summer School 21st and 22nd July 2018

PaulG
Dear All,

please find details enclosed of the Glandore Classic Boat Summer School 21st and 22nd July 2018.

Cormac O'Carrol (NC member) is one of the organisers and is keen to the good word out there. We are also proposing a NC row in Glandore in conjunction with the event, exact details to be finalised, rowing either on the Saturday evening and or Sunday morning.

Please let me know by email or text 086 1006122 if you are interested in a row and also willingness to tow/coordinate the row (I am due to  be away). The summer school is open to all..

Best wishes,

Paul G

message from Cormac:

This year the Glandore Classic Boat Summer school will be opened by the author and explorer Tim Severin, author of the best selling book The Brendan Voyage, his account of his Voyage to Canada in a Currach in the spirit of St. Brendan the Navigator.  We have our own Martin and Pat Speaking about the Currachs and the future and of interest to very many will be the screening of the ‘The Camino Voyage’ on the Saturday night there are many other very interesting items in the summer school.

About the Summer school

The Club at Glandore first hosted the Summer school in 1992 and this event has been running biennially since then. This year promises another programme of fascinating speakers, including Críostóir MacCártaigh of the Traditional Boats of Ireland Project, Graham Bailey of the Lugger Peel Castle. Gary McMahon will speak in on the completion of the AK Ilen Project of Limerick, Hal Sisk on the re-launch of the Dublin Bay 21’s, Simon O’Keeffe and Tiernan Roe bringing us up to date on the Lady Min, Pat Ruane and Martin O’Donoghue on the recent evolution and future developments of the  Currach, Denis Horgan sharing aerial views of West Cork, and a presentation from John Hegarty of Save Cork City group, on the  Heritage, Tidal Barriers and Flood Protection options for Cork city. On Saturday evening we  have a film presentation ‘The Camino Voyage’ an epic 2,500 modern day Celtic Odyssey from Ireland to northern Spain, presented by Padraig O’Duinnin and filmmaker Donal O Céilleachair.  We also have a very interesting item by Karl Brady of the underwater archeology unit of the National Monuments service on the recently created Irish Wreck Viewer, that documents the many thousands of wrecks in our coastal area.

I attach a flyer and a detailed programme on the topics and speakers participating.

our flyer is here

the detailed Speaker and topic list is here

Our web link is here: http://glandoreyc.com/classic-boat-summer-school-2018/

I hope you can find  a few willing rowers and give the Bad nua an outing!  If you would like to speak to me get in touch on 087 643 9425 and I will talk you through it.

Thank you and very best regards,

Cormac O'Carroll

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Glandore Classic Boat Summer School 21st and 22nd July 2018

PaulG
Hi All,
We are looking for a tower for weekend Row(s) Saturday Sunday 😉
Best
Paul G